I know Steve & I were in the same Geography class Junior year (with G. Smith), and I'm pretty sure we had Ecky's class together, too. What I noticed back then was how studious and intelligent he was. During our Senior year, we were in both A'Cappella and Chorale, so we were around each other a lot more. Plus, he was on Seminary Council, so I got to see that side of him, too. (I wasn't on it, but I noticed the people who were.) Here are a few distinct memories I have of him in those days.
#1- Our first date: How to Host a Murder, organized by Christian Terry. Steve's character was very secretive, which worked out well for him since he was more shy back then. But after dinner he relaxed a bunch and we played "frisbee" with Ashley Rockwood's beret. (I'm trying to remember who else was there... Rob Bingham, Tyler Nelson, and Bradeigh Smithson I remember for sure. Oh, and Christian's brother Neil. "Negling! Bring me my slippers!")
#2- Steve's crazy side suddenly jumped out at me during the Broadway musical smorgasbord in the spring. He was one of the brothers in "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat," and Katherine Richards was in charge of staging "Those Caanan Days." I happened to be sitting in the theater watching one of their rehearsals of that song, and I saw a whole new side of Steve. I have a very vivid image in my mind of him lunging forward on his backwards chair, reaching ravenously for some imagined food. He also fell off his chair later on (as the brothers each "passed out" while Christian held "did" out fo-re-ver) and nearly killed himself. I thought, "Hm, maybe this guy does have a fun & crazy side." Little did I know... ;)
#3- Steve coming to my CDT performance and chatting with me on the steps inside the Capitol Theater. Thanks, Babe!
#4- Going to Senior Ball together. He let me teach him the Cha-Cha, and I must say it was the BEST high school dance I went to. On the way to our activity afterward, we sat and chatted in the car for at least 45 minutes, and I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to talk to him. As mentioned by Sarah in an earlier post, I also got to see his crazy side again when he flew over Sandy's grandparents' bushes. :)
Good times. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment