Monday, November 17, 2008

Krista Landon

I've always admired a lot of different things about Steven; he always seemed so talented and capable that I was sure that he could do anything he decided to do. I have really appreciated his ability, and the hard work that he put into learning and practicing the piano, such that he could always play most anything at a moment's notice--sometimes all I gave him when I asked his help! When I was little we played many crazy games, but he knew how to take charge and wasn't afraid to try new things. I loved it when he helped me as I was learning to ride a bike. He was willing to go with me when I wanted to go for a ride but couldn't go alone, though I didn't realize until later how busy he was with many other activities. Steven has always been a great example to me of generosity and I have one really special memory that represents a lot of the kind of person he is.

There was one day that I desperately wanted to go for a bike ride, but he said that we should wait for a particular day a few days later. He wouldn't tell me why we needed to wait, but promised that it would be worth it if I would be patient a little longer. I didn't understand why, but I finally grudgingly agreed to wait. As promised, we took a bike ride a few days later, and when we got to the grocery store a few blocks away there was a hot dog stand in the parking lot, where Steven bought me a hot dog and drink of root beer with some of his paper route money. I was so excited and happy--it was a wonderful experience, and became a treasured memory for me for years.

I admire Steven's way of putting people first, and worrying more about making people happy and creating special memories than about hoarding time and money. I think many in our family have grown from his example and love. He is always very considerate, and I remember year after year that I got just what I'd wanted for Christmas from Steven, even if I hadn't thought to tell anyone that I'd wanted it--whether it was a little stapler, or mechanical pencils with lead, or something else that happened to be just what I wanted or needed. I'm grateful for his testimony, for his ability to give of his time and of himself.

Happy 30th Birthday, Steven! Thank you, and I love you!
-Krista

No comments: