MOST o' my happy memories o' senior year in high school and the year after graduation are directly related to Steve. Steven welcomed me into his life with open arms and even though we came from different worlds, he accepted me unconditionally. Steve taught me many things in those couple o' years that helped me to change my path in life and really inspired me to become the person I knew I should be. I know that may sound cliche, but it's true.
Enough o' the sappy stuff. Here are the fun and awesome things I remember about Steve.
He was so full o' energy!! He was always running everywhere he went, as if time was flying away from him and he had to accomplish all that he could in the present moment!
He was always teaching. If he saw someone dressed immodestly, he would say something like, "What happened to the rest o' her shirt?" I was always sure that he was saying those things to me to help me learn what a young woman should be dressing like or how she should be behaving. I loved that, and it's something that I've incorporated into my teaching opportunities with young women.
Steve lived his life according to the principles that he knew were right. Sometimes this would infuriate me, but in the long run, I knew he was right. Like when he wouldn't go to more than one dance with a girl because it was against the Seminary Council rules... I learned to admire his convictions and stopped rolling my eyes (eventually). ;)
When we went to CA for the choir trip, my "best friend" didn't show up and I was devastated, but I ended up spending most o' my time with Steve, and it turned out to be one o' the greatest trips o' my life up 'til then.
Steve took me on my first skiing trip. It was night time and I was terrified, but even though he was a great and experienced skier, he stuck with me and laughed with me the entire time.
Steven always made me laugh. He had the greatest sense o' humor and whenever I think o' him now, I end up laughing.
This is way too cheesy and sentimental already, so I'll end now, but first I'll just say that Steve, you are one o' the best friends I've ever had. I learned so much from you and I'm so glad that you are married to Melissa, who is also one o' the bestest friends I've ever had. The two o' you are so great together and you're still inspiring me. I love you guys and I hope you have a great birthday!!!!!
-Maren Saxton Abercrombie
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment